Hygiene refers to maintaining cleanliness for keeping fit and staying healthy. Maintaining personal hygiene is important for both men and women, as it ensures good health and has several social benefits as well. Personal hygiene is a way of life, which is usually concerned about maintaining cleanliness, following daily good habits and practising a disciplined lifestyle. It helps us to stay protected from diseases by preventing the spread of harmful germs or bacteria around us by following an all comprehensive hygienic approach. Besides this, maintaining good personal hygiene helps in improving your self-esteem and will make you feel better about yourself.
Personal hygiene as a discipline should be adopted both at home and at the workplace. It’s because we are surrounded by bacteria and harmful germs everywhere, which may not be visible to the naked eyes, but act as major carriers of certain harmful diseases or infections. Since, at workplace we work in a group, unhygienic practices such as unpleasant odour or a shabby appearance will dissuade your colleagues to work along with you.
This article provides an extensive coverage on the simple steps which a woman needs to follow for maintaining personal hygiene:
Maintaining Cleanliness: Cleanliness can be maintained by following the below discussed routines religiously:
- Taking a shower or a bath every day: Daily bathing helps us to stay clean and protect us from the harmful bacteria which survive on our sweat/ skin cells, which is the cause of foul body odour. Mild soap should be used for bathing and care should be taking while cleaning the private parts of the body. It doesn’t make a difference if you take a bath in the morning or at night..
- Shampoo and Conditioning of the Hair: This should be done for at least 2 to 3 times a week. Warm water should be used while getting your hair wet. Use a shampoo or a conditioner that suits your hair type like oily, frizzy, dry, straight or curly.
- Wash your face twice daily: Use a mild or alcohol free cleanser to clean your face every morning and before going to bed. Avoid scrubbing the skin of your face very hard or usage of harsh soaps on the face.
- Wear clean dry clothes on a daily basis. Change your undergarments if it gets sweaty or becomes wet for any reason.
- Wash your hands frequently specially after using a toilet, sneezing or coughing, before preparing food or while handling delicate tasks.
- Keep a small hygiene kit in your purse or backpacks such as a small mirror, deodorant, comb, hand sanitizer or a packet of mouth fresheners or gum.
- Use deodorants on a daily basis to smell and feel fresh.
Practising Intimate Hygiene: Intimate hygiene is important for their overall health as it not only has a soothing effect but also protects a woman from harmful bacteria which could be the main cause of fatal diseases like cancer, various infections, sterility or other kinds of diseases. The key steps involved in the maintenance of intimate hygiene are given below:
- Wear loose, breathable and cotton fabrics which allow proper air circulation around the vaginal area and reduce vaginal sweating which is the main cause of various infections.
- Clean the vaginal portion with a mild soap and warm water. Then dry off the wet portion with a clean towel or a wet wipe.
- Wipe off the genital area gently after urination with the help of a tissue paper or by using wet wipes.
- Change sanitary napkins, tampons and panty liners many times a day, to avoid any risk of infections or foul odours.
- Use unscented intimate wash products, menstruation products, toilet papers or various feminine products.
- Wash the vaginal portion after a sexual intercourse as this may increase the proneness to vaginal infections or other fatal diseases.
Eat a balanced diet rich in nutrition, consume ample fluids and sleep sufficiently as this will help in maintaining the vaginal health and the overall body health.